Thursday, July 2, 2009

It's Summer...right?

And it almost feels like it these days. Almost.
I've only gotten into smoothies within the last year. I had associated them with the overly sweet, somehow frozen yogurt involved, mall creations. I've been introduced to something entirely different by this awesome little place in my town called The Stand (they really ought to have a website, but they do not.)

One of their offerings is an unusual combination of Mangoes and Basil from the owner, Carissa. I had it one summer, and couldn't get it out of my head. Don't be frightened. And don't give me that look. It's delicious.

This is my interpretation -
It's more of 'a little bit of this, a little bit of that' kind of a deal. Go with your gut on this one.


Mango Basil Smoothie

1/2 bag of frozen mangoes (16 oz bag- you can find them at Trader Joe's!)
A bunch of basil (to taste, you can add a hint, a handful, or a whole lot)
Unsweetened vanilla almond milk
Agave to taste

In a blender, add the frozen mango and basil.
Add at least enough almond milk to cover the frozen fruit, so that it can blend properly. Add more depending on how thick/thin you like your smoothies.
Over all this, squeeze some Agave. I usually add about a tablespoon.
Blend until there are no solid chunks of mango left.

There you have it! Refreshing, summery, and tasty as all get out.
If you ever have the opportunity, go to The Stand! They're extremely friendly, knowledgeable, and make delicious things.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mangos and basil? Are you mad, woman? (Yes, I believe I am giving you that look!) I don't have any mangos growing in my garden, but I have plenty of basil. Maybe I'll just have to take the leap and try this one. :)

Anyway, I found you on TasteSpotting and am writing to say that if you have any photos that aren’t accepted there, I’d love to publish them. Visit my new site (below), it’s a lot of fun! I hope you will consider it.

Best,
Casey
Editor
www.tastestopping.wordpress.com

Emily said...

Now I want a mango smoothie!!!! Do you want to bring me one? :)

Katerina said...

OOohhhh This sounds good! I just made a smoothie with basil and watermelon, but next time mango! I swear whenever you add basil to something it tastes like summer.