Sunday, May 31, 2009

Breakfast for Dinner


A while back, while browsing one of my favorite things I came across this quinoa recipe. My only experience with quinoa up until that point was simple & savory, so I was intrigued. I made a couple of teeny tweeks and:

Sweet Breakfast (dinner) Quinoa

1 cup quinoa
1 cup water
1 cup soymilk
(or other non-dairy, I used half almond, half soy- mostly cause I ran out of soy)
1/2 tsp of salt
1+ tsp cinnamon (I love me some cinnamon)
A healthy squeeze of Agave (a couple of tablespoons, to taste)
Sliced almonds, to taste
Blueberries, a bunch of
Extra milk of choice

It's optional, but I like to toast the quinoa in a dry sauce pan. Keep your eye on it though. Try and keep it moving til you smell it (kinda toasty), it'll pop a little bit. Burn it, and you'll know. You'll know for days.
Add the salt, cinnamon, agave, water, & soymilk and stir.
Turn the flame down to low and cover. simmer lightly for 15 minutes, or until quinoa appears translucent. It will have absorbed most/all of the liquid. Watch for boil-overs, they're sneaky.
Stir in almonds and top with blueberries.
I like to add extra almond milk at the end, as I like it porridge-y.

No comments: