Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sundays are for baking

For a long while, cornbread & I were at odds. It seemed I tried each recipe I could get my hands on, and at every turn, was greeted with dry, bitter, sad cornbread.
Until one hungry Sunday morning, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I set out to make biscuits, but instead wound up with happy sunshiney muffins.
They were moist, sweet, and basically everything a Sunday morning needs.


Sunshine Corn Muffins

1/2 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
2 Tablespoons baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup melted earthbalance margarine
1/4 cup maple syrup
1cup soymilk (or non-dairy of your choice, almond could be good)


Pre-heat the oven to 375 °F and line your muffin tin.
In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients until well combined (technically, sugar is a wet ingredient, I forget why, but include it in here. Just this once, I won't tell.)
Add the melted margarine, maple syrup, and soymilk, and fold gently until just combined. Be careful not to over mix, or they will get tough like the dickens. They will.
Divide the batter equally into muffin cups
Bake 17 to 19 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
This gives you about 12-14 reasons to wake up in the morning, I mean, muffins.



1 comment:

Steph and Matt said...

Simplicity at it's best. Delicious, moist, easy to make and family friendly!